[ale] console blank screen

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri May 13 17:40:36 EDT 2011

did the acpm get upgraded or lost? the power management changes with most
major upgrades so you may to load in some different kernel modules to regain
the same access. Not sure what kernel level squeeze uses...

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:36 AM, brock at quantifier.org <brock at quantifier.org
> wrote:

> Hello, Ale'rs
>
> I'm running an old ibook with Debian Squeeze, and I prefer to leave x
> uninstalled.  I can google well enough with w3m, ssh just fine to email,
> and play the radio with mplayer.
>
> I can't get the console to blank out after a few minutes, though, and the
> display just stays on (i.e., I'd like a "screensaver" without running x).
>
> I edited /etc/rc.local with:
>
> setterm -2 blank
>
> which, according to the man page, should blank the screen after 2 minutes.
> I'm pretty sure this is all I've ever done in the past, but since I
> upgraded to squeeze last week, it doesn't blank, and I have to shut the
> thing down at nite to get the screen to shut off.
>
> Help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert

James P. Kinney III