[ale] Archos Tablet

Thu May 12 08:15:07 EDT 2011

My recent experience with Samsung phones has taught me to be careful about
buying Android devices from a company that doesn't rely on the success of
their phone business. Updating mobile devices is not like
upgrading/reinstalling Linux on your desktop. You can't just go grab an
installer of your favorite distro. You rely on the hardware manufacturer to
distribute the updates, or if you are lucky some enthusiast still port over
a ROM from some other device and it will be 50% functional, maybe 75% if
there is a big community. The problem is, there is no money in it for them
to upgrade. In fact they seem to think that upgrading the software keeps you
from replacing the hardware. What they haven't figured out is that you can't
crap on your customer and then expect to ever sell then anything else.