[ale] as promised/threatened, an overly long post with probably nothing of real importance

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon May 9 08:54:34 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Geoffrey Myers
<lists at serioustechnology.com>wrote:

> It used to be that the defining point of ALE was Linux.  I don't mind
> the community/pub thing. What turns folks off is the rhetoric often used
> that is so spiteful.  As I said before, the noise to value ratio on the
> list is very poor.  Has been for a while.  I know a number of folks that
> I pointed to ALE who have left.  Sadly, I no longer point people to ALE
> as Linux resource.
>
> The ALE community has become quite politicized over the past 10 years.
People started added pointedly political signatures to their emails. Others
added retaliatory signatures (me!). Discussion get heated and then BOOM! it
erupts into a noisy string of rhetoric that is so totally off-topic that
people leave in disgust. As others have explained, the passion for Linux
tends to spill over to other areas. As I have said, I will exercise the
moderate button faster on individuals than I have in the past (i.e. - I
didn't use it at all).

If someone doesn't like the noise to value ratio they can:
1. post more value
2. don't add to the noise

That's my goal.

James P. Kinney III