[ale] U-verse network issues

David Hillman hillmands at gmail.com
Sun May 8 20:01:47 EDT 2011

My dad just got AT&T U-Verse.  They are using the U-Verse box as the main
router for wired and wireless devices.  I believe in keeping that kind of TV
traffic separate from everything and off my home network, but that's just
me.  My dad called me because I helped hook up their HP network printer and
now it doesn't work reliably.  Sometimes print jobs will come out garbled
and other times it just sits there in the queue.  I am thinking packets are
getting lost somewhere or the U-Verse box is doing something crazy.  Before
I go buy them another router that can sit behind the U-Verse box for their
local LAN, I'd like to prove that the U-Verse box is messing with the print
jobs.  The print server can be pinged and I can pull up the printer config
page from any computer, wired or wireless.  Plugging the print server into a
desktop machine leads to flawless print jobs.  It's the network that's the
problem, but why and where?

Doing a network trace seems like a good idea, except I don't know much about
network tracing just yet (still learning).  Any quick and dirty tools for
Ubuntu, etc that I can use?