[ale] OT: Nuc reactors and Japan

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Fri May 6 09:31:21 EDT 2011

On Fri, 6 May 2011 06:06:54 -0700
Damon Chesser <dchesser at acsi2000.com> wrote:

> Sure, a gas co-gen plant can go BOOM in spectacular ways, but will it
> leave the place un-inhabitable for 100 years?  No flame war meant,
> just discussion.  This is a thing I have moved on over the years.
> Engineering is a funny thing:  They plan for everything they can, but
> who ever thought that a 9.0 earth quake followed by a huge wave
> wiping out the aux power units would happen.  NOW it seems obvious,
> but THEN it was remote if even if it was possible.

I don't think explosions at a power generator is something I
specifically worry about.

I sort of see this as somewhat along the same lines as hurricanes vs
tornadoes...

Coal and oil plants, which provide the vast majority of our electricty,
are like hurricanes.  They are constantly, but slowly, spreading filth
and toxins all over the entire country.  Very much like a hurricane
that spreads "minor" destruction all the way up the coast line.

Nuclear reactors don't cause much in the way of pollution unless
something goes wrong.  When something does go wrong they're like
tornadoes.  They cause a whole mess of problems for a very localized
area.  Just like a tornado touches down and causes a huge amount of
damage in a very small area.

Thankfully nuclear reactors don't go wrong very often.

Pat