[ale] Ubuntu 11.04 Under VirtualBox

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu May 5 06:45:17 EDT 2011

Someone mentioned they were interested in any experience with Natty ...

So I loaded up Natty last week under VirtualBox. I don't really use any
OS directly on hardware any more - the OS running directly on the
hardware is a hosting platform for virtual machines. I prefer
"virtualized hardware" these days.  That causes issues when GPU
acceleration is demanded by a GUI, like Natty. VirtualBox 3D accel is
fairly new and definitely needs more time to mature, IMHO.

Anyway, here's a poorly written blog entry about Natty:
http://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/05/04/first-look-at-natty-narwhal-ubuntu-11-04-and-unity

I like the automatic shortcuts to launch or raise my favourite 9
applications.

The dock interface is similar to what I've setup for "Mom." BTW, Mom is
running Lbuntu 10.04, happily.

Unity 3D wasn't very stable under Vbox - at least not for me. It caused
lock ups to other VMs, itself and the hostOS. This is a Vbox issue.

Unity 2D provides most of what I like about the new interface and seems
to be more stable. There are a few issues/bugs that may impact people
who like to mouse. I'm a keyboard guy, with "focus follows mouse" settings.

When I'm using other OS instances, I find myself trying to launch
programs using the "SUPER+{num}" combo from Unity. I miss it when it
doesn't work. THAT says something doesn't it?

Generally, I run LXDE-based Ubuntu interfaces, so fancy graphical
effects don't get me too excited. I swapped out most of the default apps
from Ubuntu for the apps I prefer.

Anyway, I'm certain a few others have found something to like and hate
about Natty. Let's hear it.