[ale] as promised/threatened, an overly long post with probably nothing of real importance

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed May 4 09:46:23 EDT 2011

I didn't notice the moderation bit because after my 2nd or 3rd response
to the Usama thread I realized it was getting out of hand so declined to
respond again.

Interestingly the only post I've made in the past 2 weeks that didn't
make it to the list WAS on topic and I got an email back that it was
waiting for moderator approval due to length.  (Presumably because it
included the thread I was posting in reply to.)  I noted the moderator
never sent it through even though it was on topic.

As others have noted though there seems to be much more ranting about
off topic posts when they involve liberal ideas than when they involve
conservative ones.

When I first joined the list there was shortly a thread started by
Gerald regarding separating into two lists that devolved into an
outright melee.   I post off topic here because so far as I can tell
MOST people post OT here.  If someone is willing to push their ideals
that aren't related to Linux then I feel free to push back.   That also
has come up before so when I saw the discussion of people
leaving/splitting lists and all I didn't immediately respond because it
seemed like a repeat of past battles.

I'm interested in why one needs to form a SAGE group in Atlanta given
that there is already an independent UNIX Users Group (Atlanta Unix
Users Group a/k/a auug.org).   That group doesn't currently have a
mailing list other than meeting announcements but for the past few
months Lindsey Cleveland who maintains that list has been asking
questions about reorganizing.   It might be a good idea to reach out to
him about that.   Also the group is looking for a new meeting space as
the current one is going away probably by September if not earlier.
Most of the people that attend those meetings are "Professionals" and
much of the time there is spent talking about Linux in addition to UNIX.