[ale] as promised/threatened, an overly long post with probably nothing of real importance

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed May 4 09:10:35 EDT 2011

I have managed a web BBS and OPed an IRC channel. In those two actions
I have learned that it takes a guiding hand to keep a community
together, cordial, and on topic. If temporary full moderation is
needed to do that, then so be it. Thus the lack of complaint from me.

Where I admin of the list, here is how I would do it:

1) Start a conversation among some public core members of the list to
establish what they think should be guidelines for posting to the
list.
2) Issue a statement to the public list outlining what should be
considered as acceptable posting behavior. This statement would also
be included in every list sign-up confirmation email.
3) Ask people to keep an eye out for potential "violation" emails (I
can't, and don't, read every single email sent to the list) and notify
me, privately, of said emails.
4) Send a friendly reminder of the community guidelines to offenders
and ask them to change their tone before moderation, or possible
removal, is set.

Maybe that isn't "free" and "open," but it works. I'm no fan of
censorship. I much prefer open discussion, but this list is "Atlanta
_LINUX_ Enthusiats." This list is not the "what political rant can I
start today" list.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/