[ale] as promised/threatened, an overly long post with probably nothing of real importance

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Tue May 3 23:28:24 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 23:03, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> For the past 10+ years ALE has been my extended family of geeks. The
>
> However, the aspect that concerns me the most is NO ONE COMPLAINED THAT I
> ALONE SHUT DOWN THE LIST. I made a unilateral decision and EVERYONE on this
> list just shrugged like sheep and went along. I got emails asking me to not
> bail out but if I was going to they would step up. But not a single email
> complaining that I took away their freedoms on this list. I expected 20-30
> emails within minutes of the announcement of my action. That it never came
> has indicated this is no longer the ALE from my memories but it is something
> strange and far less satisfying.

I take a slightly different tack on this - I think that we as ALE
members know that any censorship of one list is hardly
an affront to our collective speech - we can always create another
list for whatever topic we feel needed.  Few of us are
naive enough to think that this forum is the be-all and end-all of
online discourse.  If the ale-list gets over-moderated, we can go
elsewhere
for our politics, and if we feel the need for Linux-related talk, we
could create a new list.

That said, I think we'd all prefer to keep this list, for no other
reason that tradition and habit.

--
Pete Hardie
--------