[ale] OT - open source access control (physical) software?

Sid Lane jakes.dad at gmail.com
Mon May 2 13:42:59 EDT 2011

all,

the computer which controls the access control system for our neighborhood
(pool, clubhouse, restrooms, etc) is dying and I have been tasked
w/replacing it.  I don't have any documentation but a physical inspection of
the system showed that the actual physical locks are controlled by a
proprietary box (about size/form of a home alarm) which has a serial
connection to an old PC running XP & the management client.  the management
client is a program that runs in a user session (not a service) but appears
to be from a different company than the actual control unit which makes me
wonder if there's open source management software for these systems (I'm
assuming the serial traffic is unencrypted).  the actual control unit must
cache its last know information because it continues to work when the PC
dies (which it's doing frequently now).

anyone know anything about these kinds of systems & particularly if there's
any gpl(-ish) alternatives?  ideally I'd like a small-form (mac mini-ish) pc
running a small linux distro off a flash drive (no spindle).  I don't care
if the UI isn't pretty (hell, it could be mysql or even vi-ing xml files for
all I care - we have <300 homes).