[ale] VPS or not

Chuck Peters cp at axs.org
Thu Mar 31 20:44:19 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:24 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>wrote:

> If you pay by the year, or two years, you still get the same discount
> at renewal time with Linode. I got the same 10% off at the begining of
> March as I did when I first signed up the previous March.

Linode discount is 10% by year or 15% if you pay for two years.
Prgmr is 10% off for 6 months and 20% for a year.

Linode 1 year 1024MB $479.40
Prgmr 1 year 1024MB $192.00
Prgmr 1 year 2048MB $345.60

A straight comparison of price probably isn't fair when you consider other
factors. More people will be happy with Linode because of their service,
number of data centers, likely more expensive hardware and probably better
performance in a 1024MB direct comparison. Let's not forget the web gui,
people will like Linode better since Prgmr requires the command line to
start up your VPS. As for network topology, the tests I did earlier showed
less latency to Linode in New Jersey than the San Jose data center we are
getting, but both Linode and Prgmr have servers in the same data center.  If
the size of the company matters to you, Linode is much bigger than Prgmr. I
don't know the current numbers of employees, but if what I read online is
true Linode has at least 60 people and they all work in New Jersey.  They
ship servers out to the various data centers and the data center people take
care of the NOC Monkey part.

We are running a VPS for a few mail accounts, a few mailing lists, LAMP and
static sites that provide little or no income.  For someone like me who
doesn't need much support and considering our particular requirements, we
can definitely do more with 2048MB RAM and spending less.  I just hope some
of our users are as happy with it as I expect, less latency when doing mail
with mutt, or posting with wordpress could be something that prompts us to
move to New Jersey.

Chuck