[ale] VPS or not

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Mar 31 16:43:08 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 16:25 -0400, Chuck Peters wrote:
> In terms of VPS security, Xen is likely to be safer than Virtuozzo.
> Tektonic uses Virtuozzo and Linode and Prgmr use Xen.  Also Virtuozzo
> slices have no swap space.

Virtuozzo seems to also lack the ability for a container to setup its
own networking; Xen of course allows it, because there's a kernel
running inside the VM itself and you can do things like create IP
tunnels and the like.  LXC also allows it, because it uses namespaces
for the network devices.

For me, the ability to setup tunnel devices is really important; I have
an entire virtual network that runs that way.

	--- Mike