[ale] VPS or not

Chuck Peters cp at axs.org
Thu Mar 31 16:25:24 EDT 2011

>   We are moving to Prgmr and that should be completed tomorrow or Saturday,
> but I have until Friday to avoid paying another month.

I should have said the 4th, or 8 days... to complete the migration.

In terms of VPS security, Xen is likely to be safer than Virtuozzo.
 Tektonic uses Virtuozzo and Linode and Prgmr use Xen.  Also Virtuozzo
slices have no swap space.

Another thing I should have also mentioned is the Prgmr AUP, bulk mail is
not ok without special permission.  We run some lists and obtained approval.

I was going to try to show some memory stats of our slice at Tektonic...

Tektonic
# smem
smem requires a kernel >= 2.6.27

Prgmr, this is a small slice only running DNS.
root at xen:~# smem
  PID User     Command                         Swap      USS      PSS
 RSS
  504 root     /sbin/getty -8 38400 hvc0          0       88      141
 548
  252 root     udevd --daemon                     0       92      217
 608
  265 root     udevd --daemon                     0       96      221
 612
  187 root     udevd --daemon                     0      168      244
 604
  385 root     cron                               0      212      285
 800
  183 root     upstart-udev-bridge --daemo        0      228      391
 812
    1 root     /sbin/init                         0      504      730
1492
  366 root     rsyslogd -c4                       0      744      832
1432
25480 root     /usr/sbin/sshd -D                  0      412      917
2116
13284 root     -bash                              0     1280     1377
1944
13272 root     sshd: root at pts/0                   0     1024     1560
2824
15259 root     /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/sm        0     3680     3859
4608
32595 bind     /usr/sbin/named -u bind            0    26364    26481
 27064

Tektonic...
The memstat is a bit long to paste here, but here is meminfo with a bit cut
out.
# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      1048576 kB
MemFree:        364208 kB