[ale] [OT] rant - decadence in society - DRM

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 11:16:29 EDT 2011

I taught my children that if they hear voices that others around them don't
hear to seek professional psychiatric care immediately.  I also taught them
their time on this rock is limited and how people remember you is your
afterlife reward or punishment.
Additionally, I taught them there's no evidence to support the existence of
ghosts,  witchcraft or demonic possession and that people who believe in
that garbage are simpletons at best and psychotic and dangerous at worst.
Within this framework they demonstrate a profound empathy for all other
living creatures and a strong desire to go through life causing the least
harm they can. They can also reason their way through complicated decisions
by analyzing the real data and making an informed choice without the need
for mysticism or magic or other psychological deviation that prohibits
individual growth through knowledge of the world around them.

Several people advised against pursuing the religion topic when it came up.
I bit my tongue until it bled. But people insisted on professing their
religous bias anyway. So the door has been kicked off the hinges. When this
heats up too much, I'll turn off the list for a day or so to give people
time to cool down.

Flame on