[ale] [OT] rant - decadence in society - DRM

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 10:27:46 EDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 3:28 AM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
> On 03/25/2011 12:16 AM, David Ritchie wrote:
>> Another piece, IMO, is that there are more and more people who don't
>> believe in a God. As a result, they are not fearful of divine
>> punishment. I feel that such individuals may be just a little bit less
>> restrained in these areas than those people who do worry about such
>> things. They see more upside than downside - and since the moral
>> calculation is surpressed and only an economic one remains, there is
>> less restraint there.
>
> I must say that I disagree vehemently on this point.  Allow me to
> explain why I say that (ironically, I was just a few moments ago having
> a very similar conversation with someone else).
>
> Religion has *absolutely* nothing to do with any of this.  A belief in a
> diety (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with whether a person has the
> ability to critically think about whether their actions are right or
> wrong.  In fact, I can think of many situations where the ethical thing
> to do is directly opposed to the moral thing to do from a Christian
> standpoint.  Religious frameworks are something to never enter a
> discussion on "right" and "wrong", IMHO, because nearly every religious
> framework has something different to say on issue X for (almost) any
> value of X.  I therefore consider the questions of right and wrong to be
> something which cannot be suitably based on *any* religious framework
> (not just the Christian framework, but *any* framework).  Now I'll grant
> that for a Christian, all other diverging frameworks are typically
> considered to be "wrong", but that is a point that I will conveniently
> ignore since it's tangential at best to this particular thread (and for
> the rest of this message I will completely ignore all religious frameworks).
>
> Whether an action is right or wrong from the viewpoint of an individual
> depends on the set of rules that they are using to assess such a
> question.  The *real* problem, IMHO, is that most people are either
> unable or unwilling (more on that in a moment) to apply critical
> thinking and reasoning to the decisions that they make and fail to truly
> assess what they are doing before they do it.  Think about it this way:
> why does someone steal an item from a store?  It could be because:
>
>   * They do not know that it is wrong (maybe they are a child, or
>     they have never been taught that it is wrong and why that is the
>     case)
>
>   * They think that the "good" that will result from the theft is
>     something which outweighs the "badness" of the theft.
>
>   * They think that the other party will suffer no real loss and
>     therefore the action cannot be considered to be wrong.
>
>   * They think that they are entitled.
>
>   * They think that they are exempt from legal rules.
>
>   * They think that it's fun.
>
>   * They do not think at all.
>
> It could be for other reasons, too.
>
> Now, the way *I* gauge whether an action is "right" or "wrong" has
> [...]

Mike,

I'm a christian, but I agree with most of what you said.

I believe that Jesus's message was simple:

My summary: "Love God, Love people, legalistic hypocrites will go to hell."

Doesn't sound too far from what you wrote.

If someone disagrees with the Love part, read Mathew 22:34-40

For those that think I'm wrong about "legalistic hypocrites will go to
hell", read: Mathew 23:1-39

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+23&version=NIV

Both passages are Jesus's words (as recorded of course).  Neither
require much interpretation or scholarly knowledge to understand.  And
they're short, so take 2 minutes and read them.

Greg