[ale] [OT] updating, securing OpenOffice, Adobe Reader / Flash

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Mar 11 10:01:07 EST 2011

I've been doing my monthly patching of my Windows machines, and, what a
pain.  Fortunately, I don't have to do it too often.  I have a checklist
of things to do to the Linux machines too, so not all is automatic,
although most of the application updates are automatic.

Some of you manage Windows machines, so I wanted to share some info.
Also, Open Office, Adobe Reader, and Flash may be used on Linux, so this
may be relevant from that point of view as well.  Now, before you start
saying the best way to secure Adobe Reader and Flash is not to use them,
I know, I'm looking for a way to fire Reader on Windows, and I don't use
it on Linux.  I don't like Ubuntu 10.04's built in PDF reader either.  I
may end up going to Foxit on both Linux and Windows.  I don't know of a
viable replacement for doing what flash can do.

--------------------

Itunes

Itunes is not generally used in a corporate environment, and I don't use
it, but my son has it.  It's refusing to update properly.  I've already
removed and reinstalled it once last month, and it looks like I'll have
to do the same this month.  ARRG!

-------------------

OpenOffice

OpenOffice is now up to version 3.3.  However, my version 3.2 was not
updating properly.  When I'd say check for updates, it just failed.
When I heard it was at a new rev level, I uninstalled it and installed
version 3.3.  My Ubuntu version is still at 3.2.  I'm not sure why.
Also, the install procedure installed version 22 of Java, when the
current version is 24, so I had to uninstall the old version.

There are a couple of default settings that I change to improve
security.  Running scripting in documents can be a big vector for
viruses or malware.  Therefore, I turn that off.  I do this in Windows
and Linux.

OpenOffice - options - openoffice.org section

    security
       macro security button
          set to VERY HIGH

    java
       use a java runtime environment
          set to OFF (uncheck)

If I were using Microsoft Office, I would maximize macro security and /
or disable macros there too.

----------------------

Adobe Reader

This was a fiasco.  I know you can run Adobe Reader on Linux, but I
don't, and I don't know for sure how much of this applies.  I had
version 9.4.2 I think.  It was updating itself fine, but not upgrading.
The current version for Windows is version 10.0.1.  I had to uninstall
the old reader and install the new one.  This brings along lots of
baggage I didn't want, which I then had to go back and uninstall.  On my
Windows machines, I want ONLY flash and reader, nothing else.  So, after
installing Reader X (as they call it), uninstall the following if you
don't want it:

(from Firefox addons screen)
- Adobe DLM (download manager) from Firefox addons

(from Windows control panel)
- Adobe Flash Active X - not actually related to reader, but still adobe
- I think this applies to IE only, and I only use Firefox.
- Adobe Air
- McAfee Security Scan Plus - came with the Reader install, don't know why
- Adobe DLM - yes it's here too - publisher name is Nos Microsystems

After this, there are a number of settings I check / change to improve
security.  All I want my PDF reader to do is read PDF's and display
them.  I don't want scripting, automation, multimedia, fill in forms,
etc.  So, I turn all that off as follows.

Adobe reader options

javascript
    enable acrobat javascript
       set to OFF (unchecked)

multimedia trust (legacy)
    allow multimedia operations
       set to OFF (unchecked)

security (enhanced)
    enable enhanced security
       set to ON
    automatically trust sites from my windows os security zones
       set to OFF (unchecked)

trust manager
    allow opening of non PDF file attachments with external applications
       set to OFF (unchecked)

----------------------

Adobe Flash

Here's how to set the security settings in Flash.  You have to go to the
Adobe website to do this.  Assuming Flash is already installed, you can
do the following.  Go to the Adobe website at www.adobe.com .  Click
products.  Scroll down and look in the E-O column.  Click Adobe Flash
player.  This brings up a flash animation on the top part of the
resulting page.  You could also go to YouTube, etc. to bring up a flash
item.  Right click on the flash animation, this brings up a menu.  Click
About Adobe Flash Player to check your version.  If this locks up, as it
sometimes does on my Linux system, you can go to
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ to do the same thing.

 From the popup menu, you can click Global settings to get to the
settings screen.  If that doesn't work, you can go to

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html
to do the same thing.

Once you get to this page, there are several links with settings you can
set.  These are the settings I recommend.  Modify these if some flash
site needs access to your camera or microphone.

Global Privacy Settings Panel
    Click Always deny button, then confirm, do this again - sometimes it
doesn't save, then repeat the whole procedure.

Global Storage Settings Panel
    Check all three boxes.

Global Security Settings Panel
    Always Deny

Website Privacy Settings Panel
    All sites should have an Always Deny symbol unless they need access
to your camera and microphone.

Website Storage Settings Panel
    All sites should say used - nothing and limit - never unless they
need to store local data.  An example of something that needs to store
local data to work is Pandora.

Peer Assisted Networking Panel
    Disable P2P uplink for all - should be CHECKED
    All websites listed should say Always Deny unless this feature is
needed.

Well, that's it.  I just have to do all that on 5 PC's and two OS's.  I
also periodically recheck all the security settings in Reader, Flash,
Firefox, and Noscript, as they have been known to change either by
mistake or when updates come in and defaults mysteriously reappear.  If
you have to deal with Reader, Flash, or Open Office, maybe this will be
useful.  If you don't, be glad.

Sincerely,

Ron