[ale] CD ripping and maintaining album and track number

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Tue Mar 1 08:19:37 EST 2011

I use Grip on Gentoo to go from CD to FLAC and I have my own Python
script that uses sox and lame to make MP3s.  So I have a pair of similar
directory trees, one with FLACs and MP3s (the latter when that's the
format of my original) and one with MP3s made from the FLACs and copies
of the original FLACs.  Something I'm not doing right and need to fix
(because my daughter gripes at me) is that I'm not handling track order
properly somewhere along the line...When a directory of songs
(representing an album) gets pulled into an iTunes library, I want to
have it where the songs will get grouped by album and the songs on each
album will play in the original order.  I've been doing it by starting
song names with track numbers (e.g., "01_tom_sawyer.mp3) but that screws
up browsing for songs by name on the iPhone and other devices.  Is there
a way I can I maintain track number info from CD to FLAC to MP3 or do I
need to have a more elaborate Grip configuration that makes FLACs and
MP3s at the same time?