[ale] C Compiler for Linux

The Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Sun Jun 26 13:16:40 EDT 2011

On 06/26/2011 12:09 PM, Michael Trausch wrote:
> I use emacs in single-user mode... makes little difference on my systems
> since they are both in /usr/bin... but I have been on older unix systems
> with only vi. I know enough of it to edit basic text, but I *much*
> prefer the environment that emacs provides for programming.

If you're looking for a development environment, then you should use
what works best for you in the language(s) you want and the group you
want and so on. It's a personal preference that I can't argue with. Same
as for any other user (not a pejorative).

OTOH, if someone wants to be a good sysadmin, they need to be able to
work well in classic vi. Not vim, elvis, gvim, blah blah blah. Classic
vi is essential. If they only want to sysadmin GNU/Linux, or sysadmin a
single, modern distro, classic vi matters much less. But classic vi is
universal to all *nix systems - it's always there and always works -
can't say that about other editors.

 From the other side, I've watched sysadmins stammer and stutter in vi
and it was _painful_. I just wanted to shove them aside and do whatever
they were trying and grossly failing to do.

I get it, vi isn't for everybody. But c'mon, objectively, vi is an
essential skill for systems work.

-L