[ale] laptop running very hot!

Rich Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Fri Jun 24 17:00:25 EDT 2011

I don't know about diagnostics but keep in mind that power management is
an OS thing (ospm).  I'd start by taking a look at your power management
settings and even your BIOS.  I'm running F12 and haven't issue with my
Acer Travelmate 8200 Series.  As a matter of fact it's been running idle
on the lab bench for hours and is as you describe your Windows box.

There is a project called Open Source Hardware Monitor which may have
the ability to monitor your thermals.  I have yet to run it on *nix but
have run it on test systems running Win 7 (at work) at find is
satisfactory.

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
Open Source HW Monitor

Otherwise maybe you should put your HP on ice "literally!"

Cheers!   RinL