[ale] linux for an old compaq

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 09:37:15 EDT 2011

Hey, I am a big phan of Puppy Linux. ( http://puppylinux.org ).  It's
designed to boot from a CDROM or memory stick, but you can install it
to the hard drive if you can boot it.  A system that old probably
won't boot from a stick, but you could burn the ISO to a CDROM to
start it.  The latest 'n' greatest is only around 128 mb. The package
manager uses its own repositories and format, but if you wish to use
software which is not in the Puppy repos you can install .deb files
from the Debian repositories.  Of course, you'll have to figure out
the dependencies yourself on these, which can get a little ugly.  But
Puppy runs pretty well on old, crappy hardware. I currently have it
running on a 64-MB E-machines box at my house.

-- CHS