[ale] File systems for hetergeneous networks?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Jun 22 12:54:34 EDT 2011

I keep running into dead ends.  Essentially, I'm looking for solutions
that I can use to have both Windows and UNIX clients happily working
side-by-side without having to worry about problems.

Essentially, I want to support network configurations (possibly
distributed over a WAN, though that will be more or less transparent
since the over-the-WAN interconnections are routed IP networks) where I
can have the following things:

 * LDAP replicated such that each network has its own copy of
   authentication data.
 * Kerberos such that passwords don't need to be re-entered time
   and time again.
 * Networked filesystems, preferably with client caching mechanisms,
   such that things aren't slow as lead even over a WAN link.  That
   said, reliability and things like file locking should not be
   sacrificed.

I am beginning to think that this is simply too much to ask.  Is it?

	--- Mike