[ale] ranting about new Ubuntu UI

Don Kramer donkramer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 22:30:40 EDT 2011

Hi new poster to the list.  While I'm unsure of the current direction
of Ubuntu's Unity as well as Gnome 3, I have a few thoughts that come
to mind:

1) With the possibility that Windows 8 (and Mac?) is heading in this
same direction (as being pushed by iPhone, Android, iPad, and
tablets), open-source is proving that it can be more responsive and
agile in bringing to market faster the first production released
traditional keyboard/mouse-touchscreen hybrid/mashup Uis.  And this is
the first iteration and will become more mature and refined.
2) The early KDE 4 releases were a near fail.
3) How much influence does Canonical have over Gnome? And is it more
than a coincidence that they're splitting direction with different
shells at the same time?
4) The current LTS Ubuntu release is 10.04, still Gnome 2.3x.
5) There's always KDE, Xfce, and LXDE

I for one have my doubts about Unity and Gnome 3, as well as whether
you can mash up a UI to support both traditional desktop and
touchscreen.  I have my doubts to the extent that I am considering
jumping from Ubuntu 10.10 to Debian 6.01, a distro that will give me a
supported Gnome 2.3.x into 2014.  And I'm a huge fan of what I've seen
in Lubuntu 11.04.