[ale] ranting about new Ubuntu UI

Collin Pruitt collin at collinp.com
Mon Jun 20 18:38:15 EDT 2011

There were a *lot* of people in the Ubuntu community, both development
and otherwise, that were opposed to switching to Unity as our default
User Interface. But, due to our focus on creating a "clean and easy to
use experience", we did it anyway. Honestly, I despise Unity. It's a
pain to use, as you figured out. Another thing is the existence of GNOME
Shell. I can't understand why the high-ups at Canonical feel it's a good
idea to waste our resources on developing our own UI when we could just
as easily use GNOME's and not fracture the desktop UI scene even more,
and when there are far bigger issues in the user experience with Ubuntu
than the User Interface is concerned. A large number of users still have
trouble getting Ubuntu to work on their hardware out-of-the-box due to
support issues, examples being wireless cards and graphics cards.
Oftentimes users are reduced to a shell prompt and they're clueless as
to what to do next, and that's generally the point when people give up
and go back to using what works the easiest: Windows.

I don't understand what the logic behind our current direction is. We
should focus more on making Ubuntu "just work" like Windows does on as
wide of a variety of hardware as we possibly can, not make a pretty UI
that no one can get to because Ubuntu won't work easily on their
hardware. And even then, why do we need to develop our own UI when we
can very much more easily use one of the far more developed desktop
environments out there such as GNOME?

--
Collin Pruitt
Ubuntu Member