[ale] fedora 15 doesn't start (some) server processes?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jun 12 09:00:21 EDT 2011

Hey,

I just updated two servers from fedora 10 and 13 to fedora 15.  In both
cases some of the server processes running on these systems did NOT
start on F15, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get them
running.

In one case I couldn't get Sendmail to start.  In the other case it was
squid.  In both cases "systemctl is-enabled foo.service" reports
"enabled" (for foo == sendmail and squid).  running 'chkconfig' shows
that the services are 'on'.  Everything I can do to understand the
system is telling me that the service should start at boot time, but
alas, nope, on reboot it doesn't start at all!

Of course, once the system is up and running I can start it by hand
through one of many means, systemctl, service, or running
/etc/init.d/foo.

Has anyone else seen this?  I can't believe I'm the first person to have
this issue..

-derek

PS: For a temporary workaround I'm starting the services from
/etc/rc.local, but I'd really like to figure out why the services wont
run on their own.