[ale] Virtualization recommendations

Damon Chesser dchesser at acsi2000.com
Thu Jun 9 13:50:14 EDT 2011

If this is your desktop use virt-manager (assuming you have storage you can use for the NAS to spare).  If this is a stand alone box, use virt-manager for simplicity (you will have your familiar Fedora/Ubuntu/$OTHER desktop with all the apps and management tools you know).  However, if you want to have a "virtual" server to server up various servers at will and not be used as a desktop, proxmox rocks for simplicity.

There are no wrong answers here.   You could even install Proxmox, then install gnome-desktop and log into your Proxmox as a user.  This works.  Proxmox has the advantage that you can cluster the servers if you needed to.

Damon Chesser
dchesser at acsi2000.com
damon at damtek.com