[ale] Hey Shapiro! New use for that 3D printer!

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 14:33:54 EDT 2011

Yeah, saw this when it appeared on the Makerbot website.  Cute, mildly
interesting.  Certainly easier than picking the lock and disassembling
it, which is how *I* made masterkeys back in the Day.  We also
experimented with plasticine key impressions, but I was never able to
make that work. I was impressed that this is actually working from the
key codes -- that probably gives a clue as to the warding on the lock,
which you'd need in addition to the actual coding on the key.  Of
course, any half-smart homeowner could foil this by rearranging the
tumblers in his locks and then cutting new keys from them.

-- CHS