[ale] More Lightscribe for Linux

Rich Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Mon Jul 11 08:36:48 EDT 2011

I have a LS drive that is one on of our Windows audio production systems
and have also found it slow.  The results are fair but not really worth
the wait.  If you want to burn simple text into a disk then I guess it
would be fine but I see this technology only good for "one-off's".  Too
slow to be good for much else.

I also gave-up on printed labels years ago as front load CD's had a
tendency to "eat" the disks.  The labels can come off and bugger up a
drive (and even refuse to be ejected properly).  Since then we've gone
to printing on coated media with Epson printers.  They come with a
special platen that is inserted into the unit, aligned by reference
marks and any image is printed in photo quality to the disk surface.
Let the "permanent" ink dry and you have a HIGH quality disk!

Our feedback on sending demos out with created on these printers has
been awesome...and has helped land some good gigs.  I highly recommended
the Epson machines (also works OOTB with Linux!)  No need for special
graphics s/w either...Inkscape, GIMP, whatever.  Just build a template
and away you go!

This would be an excellent way to print bar codes to disks as well.
Simple, fast and easy to maintain.  Media isn't priced too bad either
but is special disk media that has a printable surface.

Here's a quick link to Newegg for media:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007591
+600010614&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=71&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Rich in Lilburn