[ale] More Lightscribe for Linux

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Jul 11 00:28:13 EDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 15:26 -0400, Cornelis van Dijk wrote:
> Thanks to all that replied to my previous post about Lightscribe for
> Linux. Meanwhile I succeeded by using inkscape at 180 dpi and get a
> good sharp image with the Memorex Lightscribe drive.
>
> Another problem that I have with Lightscribe for Linux is that it
> takes about sixteen minutes to burn a label. This is probably because
> the bitmap covers nearly the entire cd surface. Usually I have quite a
> bit of text, so cutting on that is not going to help much. Not only
> that, but after one burn the image is barely legible so that I have to
> do a second burn on top of the first one to get a decent image. While
> this works fine, it now takes me over half an hour to burn a label!
> Is there a way around this?

Nope.  In fact, the times you mention are shorter than I remember; I
once used my LS drive under Windows several years ago, and it took about
30 minutes to burn the label on.  The contrast, as I recall, kinda
sucked.

What I wanted to do then (and really, what I want to do now, but still
haven't found a way to do) is to not only be able to print bar code
labels for jewel cases, but also directly on the disc, for the ones that
I don't put in jewel cases (I have a drawer with such discs in that I
burn archives and backups to).  And then I'd have a way of tracking
everything.  Bwahaha.

> I know that hp sells a specialized printer for cd labels (saw it a
> Fry's), but it uses special blanks and probably uses Windows. Anyone
> know about this?

I haven't looked into it yet, but this is something that I am going to
be looking into. That, or labels that could be printed on a laser
printer (if I can find any).  The thing I would be worried about with
those, though, is getting the label off-center.  At the speeds that
discs rotate at today, that would be somewhat of a disaster, I should
think.

	--- Mike