[ale] Home NAS

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Mon Jan 31 11:02:02 EST 2011

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011, Ron Frazier wrote:
> minutes. I'd actually like to be able to tell the system to shut down
> after 1 minute, which amounts to about 70% battery left. I cannot find
> anything in Ubuntu which will allow me that level of control. The power
> settings panel only asks me what I want to do when the battery is
> critically low. It doesn't ask anything about when to do it. I don't
> know how to set it the way it needs to be set.

While most home UPS's don't have SNMP capabilities,
it's very useful for this and worth a few extra bucks,
or recycling (adding new batteries) to a used higher end
UPS.

http://www.geeklabs.com/index.php?mode=articles&submode=comments&uniq=17

is a simple perl SNMP (using Linux snmpget) example script that can
shut down a system at a specificed percentage. There are fancy SNMP
monitoring systems as well, but I found them harder to configure and
adjust than I liked.

The production version of that script also shuts off the web server,
then dumps a backup of all MySQL tables before powering down.