[ale] fun fun changing Linux swap partition to a swap file

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Jan 20 12:21:47 EST 2011

I think you're right.  Now that you mention it, Gparted does say GiB.
Like measuring in miles or kilometers.  Personally, I always thought it
was disreputable marketing by HDD makers to use 1000 as their
multiplier / divisor when the computer always thinks in terms of 1024.
Makes the drives look bigger, but that's another rant.

The numbers reported actually were:
Disk utility: 104,857,600,000 bytes, or 105 GB
Gparted: 97.66 GiB, does not report actual number of bytes

So, it looks like your math works out.

What I'm still wondering, though, is whether the file system is using
the full partition, or whether I have to move the fences, as Tim
suggested.  It's an ext4 file system, and I resized it with Gparted, as
described in the other post.

Sincerely,

Ron