[ale] fun fun changing Linux swap partition to a swap file

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Jan 20 11:40:34 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 11:34 -0500, Ron Frazier wrote:
> You may be right.  Now I'm confused.  Oh horsefeathers!  Gparted
> reports the partition as 97 GB and Disk Utility shows it as 105 GB.
> ARRGH!

Looks like one of them is using the standard SI unit "GB" and the other
is using the non-standard (and now deprecated) unit "GiB".  Add to it
some rounding, because I can't get the (exact) same numbers.

By the looks of it, I'd wager that Disk Utility is using GB and gparted
is using GiB (e.g., you have approximately 105 billion bits in that
partition).

Here's the output from a small 'bc' session to show what I'm talking
about:

scale = 4
105 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000
105000000000
. / 1024 / 1024 / 1024
97.7888

105 * (1000 ^ 3) is exactly 105 billion bytes.  Divide that by (1024 ^
3) (to convert from bytes to GiB) and you have 97.7888 GiB, which
(technically) should be rounded up to 98 GiB.

	--- Mike