[ale] laptop diagnostics

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu Jan 20 06:36:12 EST 2011

On 01/19/2011 06:59 PM, Ron Frazier wrote:
> If it uses a power brick, try another with the same voltage, at least
> the same minimal amperage, polarity, and plug shape.  Check for a loose
> power port socket, and a faulty power cable.  You could also try
> replacing the memory.  I have two old memory sticks from my Dell
> Inspiron 1525.  If they're the same, you could use them.  I think
> they're 1GB each.  If you ever get it to boot, the Ultimate Boot CD has
> a number of diagnostics.  http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/  Also, I like
> prime95 for stress testing the memory, cpu, and cooling system.
> http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/  If anyone needs help getting prime95
> running under Linux, let me know.

yup, tried the brick from my other Dell laptop. They are different,
different version & different mA, same voltage 19.5V . didn't help
I unplugged & reseated the memory, but I didn't swap places or just try
one at a time (yet).

> PS, when I hit reply, Evolution put your personal address in as well as
> ALE.  Is that intentional?  If so, how do you do that?

I run Thunderbird. Under Accounts, in the general tab are 3 blocks for
information-Name, Org. & Reply-To. have the reply-to filled in. I have
multiple accounts & need to make sure that certain accounts get replied
to correctly.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800