[ale] Yet ANOTHER reason to love Linux

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 22:06:59 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com>wrote:

> On 01/17/2011 07:48 PM, Joshua Kite wrote:
> > My color laser printer died, so today was the day I picked out a
> > replacement.  I settled on an HP Officejet Pro 8000.
>
> but, it's not a laser... you went back to inkjet?
>> I was looking at that one to replace my 5610 that is getting a little
>> old.. Right now the 5610 is shared resource from Debian, but my wifes
>> Vi$ta laptop has issues with it not printing all the time.. I usually
>> leave it turned off, and her print jobs don't always go through.

The laser that just died was so old that I couldn't get the drivers to
install on teh Vi$ta machine, despite the fact that it was a networked
printer.  So I had to create a printer share off my server to get it to
work.  Towards the end, though, I had to reinstall the printer every time we
wanted to print off the laptop.  I prefer laser because the toner is cheaper
and doesn't dry out, but Fry's in Duluth didn't have either of the
inexpensive models I was considering.  I figure this printer will either be
great or terrible and either way it's probably my last inkjet.

If I want laser I can always use the Laserjet 5P.  The only problem is
finding a machine with a parallel port on it.

Josh Kite