[ale] Better ISP?

Collin Pruitt collin at collinp.com
Tue Jan 4 22:50:59 EST 2011

I'm not certain if they offer service in your area, but I've been with
Windstream for quite a while and I'm fairly satisfied with their service.

It's oftentimes better to go with more regional ISPs instead of the big
corporation ISPs. Traditionally - although I'm not sure if this is still
true - you'll get better support out of them.

There's also something you need to know about cable. With cable Internet
access, you're sharing the same lines with the people in your
neighborhoods, so you may encounter drops in speed at times of very heavy
usage. With DSL, you're pretty much assured that you'll get what you pay
for 99% of the time.

There is a major advantage to cable, though. In most cases, you're getting
symmetrical amounts of bandwidth upstream and downstream - with DSL,
unless you're willing to pay boatloads of cash, you're getting a fast
download and slow upload. This really only is useful if you're planning on
running a server of some kind off your connection.

Hope my information helps.

--
Collin Pruitt
Ubuntu Member