[ale] How to test your public internet connection for open ports

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Feb 11 18:09:56 EST 2011

Please feel free to point out anything that I said that you feel is a
personal attack. Feel free to point out anything that I have said that is
factually incorrect, and point out why in an objective manner. Otherwise, I
don't care to hear/read it.

If "you are wrong" is an attack, well, then there are a lot of people worthy
of "attack".  You are making statements that range anywhere from just
misinformed to completely off the fucking wall, and standing by their
(perceived, by youself anyway) correctness without bothering to read up on
anything that has been discussed here.  You are spreading misinformation,
simply put. Now, I might not be able to call out Gibson for it, because he
is not here for it to matter nor be relevant. And frankly, pursuing such a
thing is really not worth my time.

I can't speak for everyone, but I have the opinion that this group exists
for us to help and learn from each other. That cannot happen in an
environment where misinformation is allowed to go uncorrected. I and others
here are absoutely willing to explain things (sometimes repeatedly if
necessary!) to those who are willing to be receptive.  Otherwise, we're all
just wasting our time. I don't know about others, but I sure do hate wasting
my time.

You acknowledge others' expertise, but only as a backhanded compliment. Your
sentences are constructed such as to be insulting and "holier than thou" in
some cases, particularly in some of your responses to my mails (such as your
continued claims WRT NAT in responses to my messages). You are careful to
heavily qualify things so as to make the implication that it is okay to
blatently disregard helpful standards of communication on your own little
island. Repeatedly you state that your "advanced" knowledge is sufficient
for you to help others.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Your posts and the misinformation
in them is a prime example of why. Your lack of desire to reference the
standards AND YET CONTINUE THE THREAD is why you are looking more and more
like an Internet troll. You'll note that I did not say that you *are* an
Internet troll. But your posts on this thread sure do seem that way. You
persist with your claims instead of doing the rational thing, which would be
to study the referenced materials (and doing some independent research using
the standards themselves) before continuing. I fail to understand why.

Moreover, I am not sure why whether or not I know you has a bloody thing to
do with any of this. If the implication there is that I would need to know
you better in order to better understand where you are coming from, I don't
see how that'd be helpful at all. Information---lots of it---has been
provided to you, without so much as a single advertiser putting one red cent
in any of our pockets to post on this list. You have been repeatedly
referred to the RFCs where there is absolutely correct information in order
to clarify your misconceptions. Still, you insist that you are correct when
in fact you would appear not to really have a clue.

Furthermore, absolutely none of this thread has been about opinions. I find
it excessively common that people hide behind the vague notions of "just my
opinion" and "interpretation". Discussing philsophy or religion is one
thing. Discussing computer networking & security, especially in the context
of best practices and standards, is another thing entirely. Its not like we
are talking about anything new, bleeding-edge, or experimental here.

--
Sent from my phone... a G2 running CM7 nightlies!
On Feb 11, 2011 4:51 PM, "Ron Frazier" <atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com>