[ale] Kind words for Windows? - was The latest from Gigabyte

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at activedg.com
Tue Feb 8 10:31:31 EST 2011

Just some thoughts.

> * Audible books - Linux cannot do it

I can listen to them. The only thing I can think of is that your books
are encoded with proprietary code. Not a Linux problem.

> * Sansa Fuze+ MP3 Player - updater and media converter - Linux cannot do it

Huh? Of course Linux can. Mplayer and many other programs are avail enn
in the GUI form. Not sure what an updater does.

> * TomTom GPS - updater - Linux cannot do it

Updater? Linux does .gpx. Not a linux problem. Call TomTom.

> * Evernote - online notes system - Linux cannot do it - OLD one works in
> Wine

Not a Linux problem. Call Evernote.

> * MetaTrader 4 - currency trading software - Linux cannot do it - works
> in Wine

Not a Linux problem. Call MetaTrader. Ask them why not Java?

> You get the idea.

Sort of, but not really.

> So, I hope this hasn't offended anyone. I also hope that Windows and Mac
> will draw on the strengths that Linux has AND I hope that Linux will
> draw on the strengths that Windows and Mac have, and that all the
> systems will improve. Of course, I'd like to see more people using open
> source software.

Not offended, but frustrated. Windows Markets and uses $$ and its
monopoly to ensure the things you want to do are difficult in Linux. I
take this difficulty and work around it. GUI's suck for tasks and
overall system support. I am very thankful I do not have to maintain
even a single Windows server here. If you really want to understand, do
system admin for both and then come back to report which is easier.
Simply having relevant logs is good enough for me to understand.

Not bashing for real.