[ale] (Solved) Any experts on vintage Sunrays out there?

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Sat Feb 5 12:11:27 EST 2011

Just a followup. It turned out to be a bad SunRay. I tested with another
one of the units that I bought and it immediately starting looking for the
mother server. I'll take a stab with the third one in a bit.

Now I need to start thinking about what to do with it. jOpenray picked up
the working Sunray, but I couldn't figure out how to get anything done with
it. It looks like it requires smartcards in order to operate.

I'm still not feeling SRSS. Way too much setup just to have a couple of
sunrays going. The next logical choice is to see if there is a VNC client
for sunrays because VNC is really just a software emulation of what a
sunray does: provide a remote virtual framebuffer for a server. So I
started digging around an located a project called srone. Unfortunately it
seems to have been lost in the mists of time. Fortunately the residual
project waas picked up and improved here:

http://sunray.pubws.com

The only thing missing from the source at the bottom is a 64 bit
implementation of the vnc authorization library. There are other reference
implementations of the hash for the password, so I guess I'll test them out
in replacement.

Just thought someone might be interested. With the software, the DHCP setup
and the $19 sunrays, having multiple desktops looks like a cost effective
solution.

BAJ

--
Byron A. Jeff