[ale] Any experts on vintage Sunrays out there?

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Wed Feb 2 18:37:49 EST 2011

Hi folks,

I could not resist the urge to buy 3 Sunray 1's surplus at $19 each from
here:

http://www.surpluscomputers.com/350480/sun-microsystems-sun-ray-thin.html

They came in fine and boot to the screen that indicates that it has the
original Sun firmware. I've spent a couple of weeks digging around the
process of getting them booted, load the new firmware and try to get them
connected to jOpenray:

http://www.jopenray.org/

As best as I can tell from all the documentation that I read that the
old Sunrays starts with DHCP and expects back a response with vendor
specific parameters. The best Sun document I've found so far is this one:

http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0204/817-5490.pdf

Since I have the old firmware, all I'm trying to do right now is get the
machine to load new firmware. I set up a DHCP server and a TFTP server on
my laptop and directly connected the laptop and Sunray on an isolated
switch.

So far no luck in getting any other packet out of the Sunray other than a
DHCPDISCOVER.

Any suggestions on getting this going would be welcome. BTW I've tried
setting up SRSS 4.2 in a virtual machine running SLES 10, but I couldn't
get it to install because it could not find the Java version that it
needed.

Thanks,

BAJ

--