[ale] opening distro war arch vs ubuntu

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 23:42:21 EST 2011

On 12/31/2011 09:23 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Thanks folks.
>
> I tried Ubuntu 10.04 all the way to 11.10 and each upgrade is an issue
> by itself.
>
> Arch is a rolling upgrade which has bleeding edge problems, but  if I
> have problem with bleeding edge others have too and solutions may turn
> around faster.
>
> Not sure if XFace is better than GNOME 3 shell ?
I think this more a matter of personal preference. Do your users have
any preference? I would ask them what they would like if they had a
choice. The latest versions of Gnome 3 (3.2) seem to me to be very good
particularly if you use a dock with it but I like Gnome so I am biased.
I am not overly fond of other DE's because of my personal tastes rather
than anything technical including XFCE. My understanding is that XFCE is
somewhat lighter on computer resources than Gnome with many recent
computers this is often a moot point.

> BTW all the dev env's are Virtual Box based VM's.
>
> So how bad is the bleeding edge issue with Arch like how badly does it
> break and is there like a stable point that I can upgrade to say once
> a month.
>
> -Narahari

Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com