[ale] Question

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Thu Dec 29 07:34:20 EST 2011

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011, Geoffrey Myers wrote:

> I can't say that I disagree with Jim's suggestions, but very few
> companies will see such home exercises as work experience.

Once upon a time (1995?) I hired a guy because he got his OS2
system a Linux system and his girlfriends Mac all connected
together and sharing a single dial up SLIP connection to the
'net. He was a waiter at the time.

One of my important (probably illegal) interview questions:

   "What will you be doing tomorrow night after work..."

If the answer demonstrates their personal passion for technology
(beyond just gaming), I'm impressed.

Whatever you do, do not think of job "requirements" as set in stone.
They are a wish list from a hopeful employer describing a mythical beast.
It does not exist as described. If you are in general compliance,
apply. You will bring things to the table they did not describe that may
rate you higher than the "more perfectly suitible" candidates.

Good employers hire on aptitude, intelligence, personality, education and
experience.  Often in that order. Apply with your best mix.

--Mike--