[ale] GIS in 2012 - What's New

Gina Clemmer, New Urban Research nur at urban-research.info
Tue Dec 13 13:49:43 EST 2011

We wanted to let those on the list know about our 2012 class schedule and provide some info on ArcGIS software. In particular, our January tele-class series begins on January 4th.

We will be teaching two versions of our GIS Essentials™ Workshop, a tele-class -- which can be taken from anywhere -- and a live workshop offered in various locations.

GIS Essentials™ Workshop - Live One Day Class
Cities include: Los Angeles, Austin, Phoenix, San Francisco, Chicago, Portland, Honolulu and Seattle

This one-day workshop is designed to teach essential GIS (Geographic Information System) skills as indicated by a survey of 500 GIS professionals. The workshop focuses on teaching the fundamentals of ArcGIS with updated information on accessing and mapping 2010 Census data. Government agencies, non-profits and universities will find the workshop particularly relevant. Gina Clemmer, author of the book The GIS 20: Essential Skills published by ESRI Press, will teach these workshops.

Registration: $595 (Includes class fee, light breakfast, lunch and a copy of the book The GIS 20: Essential Skills)
Software: ArcGIS 10/10.1
More Info/Registration: http://www.nur-online.com/workshops

GIS Essentials™ Workshop - Tele-Classes

This is a monthly series of tele-classes taught on Mondays and Wednesdays, via phone. Students must have ArcGIS setup on their desktop, or we can help arrange a 60 day trial version of the software.

Registration Fee: $1,000 (Includes 20 exercises over 16 hours of instruction, 8, two-hour class sessions, and a copy of the book The GIS 20: Essential Skills.)
Software: ArcGIS 10/10.1
Dates/Times: Mondays and Wednesdays monthly - 10 am - 12 pm PST (1:00 pm - 3:00 pm EST).
*Note: All classes are recorded and available to students for review after class.

More Info/Registration: http://www.nur-online.com/virtual_training

Custom Workshops

Let us come to you. We can teach a customized GIS workshop at your location. Many find this to be a more cost effective solution if they have more than four people who would like to receive GIS training.

Fee: $4,000 (this is a flat fee that includes ten books.)
Additional books are $20 per book. No additional expenses will be incurred. Client must have a computer lab available to receive this pricing. If a lab is not available and you are still interested in a custom class, please contact us directly for pricing.

ArcGIS Software

ESRI will release version 10.1 in early 2012. Although the look and feel of 10.1 will be the same as 10, the new software will feature improved integration with ArcGIS Online and better sharing and publishing capabilities.  Here's a summary of the new features http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis10/whats-coming/features.html#f1. If your organization's maintenance is up to date, you will automatically receive the updated software.

Pricing

ArcGIS Home Edition: ESRI has introduced a new licensing level for non-commercial home use with a price point of $100 per year. To order, or for more info, visit http://www.esri.com/arcgis-for-home.

Non-profit pricing: ESRI has introduced a new licensing level for 501(c) non-profit organizations. Depending on the number of licenses, an administrative fee will be assessed, which will generally be a few hundred dollars. Here is more information on that program, including eligibility guidelines
http://www.esri.com/nonprofit/arcgis-desktop.html.

Educational pricing: ESRI provides educational licenses for students, faculty and staff of educational institutions. If you order through New Urban Research, the price is $300 per license. To get a quote, visit http://www.nur-online.com/software and check the License(s) for School (K-12/College) box and then the Update Quote button.

Regular pricing: New Urban Research sells discounted software. Our price for one ArcGIS-ArcView license is $1260. To get a quote, visit
http://www.nur-online.com/software. If you need help determining which software is best for you, please email us to discuss pricing options.

Books

The GIS 20: Essential Skills, ESRI Press, $39.95
The GIS 20 is a no-nonsense workbook that demonstrates how to perform 20 essential GIS skills as indicated by 500 GIS practitioners.
Written for professionals with no time for classroom training, this book can be used as a weekly self-assignment or as a quick reference guide.
Each chapter offers a handy checklist of basic functions and steps covered in the text, as well as executive level summaries of how each function is commonly applied to various types of analysis. To order, visit http://www.nur-online.com/gis20_essential_skills.

Programming

New Urban Research provides a variety of GIS programming services. If you have a project in mind and would like a quote, please email us.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us by e-mail or phone. From all of us at New Urban Research, we wish you and your GIS family a happy and productive New Year.

Sincerely,

Gina Clemmer
New Urban Research
877.241.6576
http://www.nur-online.com/
Message sent by: New Urban Research, Inc., 3323 NE 33rd Ave, Portland, 97212, United States

To unsubscribe, click the link below.
http://p.ss31.nur-online.com/RWCode/subscribe.asp?SID=0&SiteID=15089&Email=ale@ale.org&HitID=1323801506151