[ale] Creating a website

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 21:49:16 EST 2011

Chris

On 12/12/2011 09:03 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I'm in the middle of creating a new website.  I'm not sure which way to
> go.
>
> I'm not CSS wizard nor am I creative enough so I have thought about
> buying a really nice template.  A template will be nothing more than CSS
> and I'm fine with that.  My problem is that I do not want to add
> content.  I intend on an employee to add content and this individual
> does not want to use VIM.
>
> How could I deploy something off this site:
>
> http://www.templatemonster.com/website-templates.php
>
> but make it easy for someone to add/edit/delete pages?
>
> Chris

AFAIK, CSS mostly standardizes the look and feel across all the pages
and centralizes where these changes are made. Editable pages like a blog
or wiki AFAIK require scripting since the content is dynamic and user
generated. I would recommend looking at scripting code more than CSS
templates. Whether server side or client side scripting is better
probably depends on the exact nature of you site.

I briefly looked at the site and did noticed they had some wiki/blog
templates. The only issue I have is which type to pick.

The main changes I would make are background images, logos, site images,
and color palette. Most of these fairly easy changes to do once you have
the images, etc.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com