[ale] VOIP recommendations?

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Thu Aug 25 07:26:13 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 05:32:16AM -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> On 08/23/2011 04:15 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 16:09 -0400, Brian W. Neu wrote:
> >> I'm looking to recommend to several of my clients that they ditch the
> >> stone ages and leap into the world of today with some VOIP services.
> >> They are going to want desktop phones though -- possibly travel-friendly
> >> phones.
> >>
> >> Can I get recommendations from my open source amigos for hardware and
> >> service providers?  I'm not a stickler for some kind of Linux solution,
> >> just a solid one.
> > Please don't try to run 8 calls over residential class DSL to save a
> > dime.
> >
> > If you eliminate POTs you're going to have to beef up your data circuit.
> > It also needs to be reliable.
> >
> > Look into running Asterisk and possible soft phones on their desktop.
> > If they travel you can put soft phones on Android and iOS.
> >
> > Chris
> I'd like to put a plug in here for FreeSwitch.  It's an open source
> alternative to Asterisk.  It's newer, cleaner and under active
> development.  I tossed Asterisk and installed FS for my home
> switchboard.  I'm a lot less frustrated now.  There's a mailing list and
> an irc channel for support.  The folks on the irc channel are
> knowledgeable friendly and supportive.  It has pretty much all of the
> features of Asterisk but is easier to configure and use.  It's truly
> open source.

I've taken a crack at FS on a Seagate Dockstar plug compuger. I was
specifically looking and the dingaling module for interfacing with Google
Chat/Voice. I also need a SIP connection for E911 service.

What has eluded me so far is a clear understanding of dialplans. I get that
FS facilitates complex dialplans. What I'm really looking for is a
DialPlan101 discussion.

BAJ

> Jim.

Byron A. Jeff
Department Chair: IT/CS/CNET
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://cims.clayton.edu/bjeff