[ale] CentOS 5.6 64Bit Install

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 08:38:07 EDT 2011

???
5 has dvd option but not all mirrors carried it. Those that didn't provided
torrent only. GT dropped dvd (?!?) but kernel.org kept up dvd isos.
On Aug 8, 2011 8:33 AM, "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner at water.com> wrote:
> One thing that annoyed me with CentOS 5 was that they went to torrent for
the x86_64 DVD and only have the CD ISOs for regular download. If your
behind web blocking stuff that doesn't like torrents you're forced to do the
Cds. At least with 6 they've got ISOs for the DVDs.

Geoffrey Myers
> Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2011 9:35 PM
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
> Subject: Re: [ale] CentOS 5.6 64Bit Install
>

> On Aug 5, 2011, at 7:53 PM, Greg Clifton wrote:
>
>> Yes, I have a DVD drive, but what I don't have is the "know-what" and a
little of the "know-how" to put on the DVD(s). Here is the link on GT mirror
site for CentOS 5.6
http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/centos/5.6/os/x86_64/images/, what do I need
to pull down from among those files to make a successful install? In what
order?

http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/centos/5.6/isos/x86_64/CentOS-5.6-x86_64-bin-DVD.torrent

> I'm pretty sure I downloaded the DVD directly from GA Tech a while back.
Not sure why they don't have a DVD to download.

>> Thanks,
>> GC
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 7:09 PM, handran <handran at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> On 8/5/2011 6:17 PM, Greg Clifton wrote:
>>> Charles,
>>>
>>> This is a bare metal install on a new system with 2 mirrored boot drives
and 2 mirrored 1TB storage drives off a 3Ware controller. Plenty of room,
but no previous OS installed, I also have a DVD drive in the system, I just
don't know what other files.

>>> I can see why lots of folks like Ubuntu, at least last time I installed
Ubuntu server 8.4(?) it booted off the DVD and installed w/o any problems.
Sure seems easier to a noob like me!

>>> Greg
>>
>> Looks like you need 8 CD iso's or 2 DVD iso's.
>>
>> Available here:
>> http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/centos/5/isos/x86_64/
>> http://mirrors.rit.edu/centos/5.6/isos/x86_64/
>> http://linux.mirrors.es.net/centos/5.6/isos/x86_64/
>> ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.6/isos/x86_64/

> Until later, Geof

> Proud partner. Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
>

> Please consider our environment before printing this e-mail or
attachments.

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential
information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of
the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply
immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and
delete it. Thank you.