[ale] cron jobs

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Fri Aug 5 15:18:48 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to do a cron job for otrs user, to check for mail hourly from my mail
> server
> otrs at localhost doesn't have a 'real' home folder, and
> crontab -e saves the file to /tmp
> when I look for my cron job
> crontab -r -u otrs
> it tells me -->
>
> cannot touch '/opt/otrs//.selected_editor': Permission Denied

It's just trying to save the "preferred" editor for the otrs user.
(vim, nano, etc.)  This is not an issue (and a message I see often at
work.)

What are you trying to accomplish?  crontab -e always saves a file in
/tmp while the file is edited by the user.  It is then copied to
/var/spool/cron for the user after they exist the editor.

crontab -r -u otrs would delete any crontab for that user.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com