[ale] bash assistance

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 08:18:24 EDT 2011

$LVM in $DF not defined
On Apr 26, 2011 7:38 AM, "Damon Chesser" <dchesser at acsi2000.com> wrote:
> Believe it or not, this is above my rudimentary bash skills and I have hit
a wall: So I am seeking advice or pointers.

> Scenario: recording Volume Group info on a server by server bases.
>
> It did not take me long to realize that I wanted to script this. I am
putting the output of my script into a spread sheet (copy and paste). The
servers I am running this on are remote and I have no convenient way to get
the output text to my workstation, so copy and paste works.

> Desired output:
>
> VGname VGsize LVname LVsize LVmount_point %diskused
>
> I have all the above working up to LVmount where it all goes horribly bad.
Here is my code:
> -----start-----
> #!/bin/bash
>
> FILE=/tmp/dlc/vginfo_script.txt
>
> rm $FILE
>
> for VG in `vgdisplay | grep -e "VG Name" | awk '{print $3}'`
> do
> VGsize=`vgdisplay $VG |grep -e "VG Size" | awk '{print $3 $4}'`
> for LV in `vgdisplay -v $VG |grep "LV Name" | cut -d\/ -f4`
> do
> LVsize=`lvdisplay /dev/$VG/$LV | grep "LV Size" | awk '{print $3 " " $4}'`
> # for MNTP in `mount |grep "$LVM" | awk '{print $3}'`
> # do
> # DF=`df -T "$MNTP" |awk '{print $6}'`
> # done
> echo $VG $VGsize $LV $LVsize $MNTP $DF
> done
> done > $FILE
>
> ---end----
>
> The above code, as written outputs this:
>
> vgorabak8 375.00GB lvorabak8 374.90 GB
> vgorabak7 375.00GB lvorabak7 374.90 GB
>
> take out the # above and it does this:
>
> vgorabak8 375.00GB lvorabak8 374.90 GB /var/lib/ntp/proc Use% -
> vgorabak7 375.00GB lvorabak7 374.90 GB /var/lib/ntp/proc Use% -
>
> No idea why. This makes my head hurt. I have tried everything I can think
of. It seems I don't think enough!

> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Damon Chesser
> dchesser at acsi2000.com

> Disclaimer: This electronic transmission and any attachments contain
confidential information belonging to the sender. This information may be
legally protected. The information is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient or
receive this message in error, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on or regarding
the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Please notify the
sender immediately if you have received this information in error.