[ale] OT - Best Auto GPS

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 11:27:45 EDT 2011

On 2011/04/19, at 18:53 , Mike Harrison wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2011, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
>
>> I have both a Garmin Nuvi and a Tom Tom.  The thing I don't like
>> about
>> the Tom Tom is that the audio does not mention streets by name.  As
>> in
>> "turn left in 300 ft."  The Garmin will pronounce the street name.
>
> The computer generated voice on my TomTom 720 says street names, the
> human
> voices do not.
>
> I have an older Garmin and a 2 year old TomTom 720.. Not sure about
> current models but my TomTom rocks.

Been using a Garmin Nuvi 255 for about 3 years now.
Waited for prices to come down under 150 and then got
one for both ourselves and our daughter (who has to
navigate New York City area for her tutoring work).

A dedicated device for this application is my preference.
We've all been happy with the Garmin units.  Screen is 4.5"
but very readable text size and such.  Navigating voice
is very easy to understand.  We're due to update the
map data (which looks to be about $40), but the unit
hasn't steered us wrong yet.

peace
aaron