[ale] Unix Automation?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Apr 18 19:40:05 EDT 2011

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 05:23:51 -0700
Damon Chesser <dchesser at acsi2000.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I was talking to a Unix guy today at work and he said he is getting
> used to Linux, but one thing he noticed is "Linux is about as mature
> as Unix was 10 years ago".  He said that many of the things you have
> to do manually in Linux is done automatically for you in Unix.  It
> was a short conversation.

I used to admin Solaris boxes 10 years ago.  The annoyance that is
still stuck in my mind was Solaris' lack of GNU command line tools.
The GNU tools had more command line options.  I don't know how many
times I growled because some command or another didn't have a switch I
wanted to use.  :)

> I am curious, having never used Unix, anybody have a clue what  he
> might have meant?

I have absolutely no clue of (or interest in!) the current state of
Solaris, AIX, or any other commercial UNIX variant.  I do remember that
Debian's apt felt like it was light years ahead of Solaris' package
management 10 years ago, though.

Pat