[ale] Unix Automation?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:32:25 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Damon L. Chesser <damon at damtek.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 08:51 -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 05:23 -0700, Damon Chesser wrote:
>> >
>> > I am curious, having never used Unix, anybody have a clue what  he
>> > might have meant?
>>
>> What he meant was that he was not really a UNIX geek and that Linux
>> perplexed him :)
>>
>> Sorry,  I've never bit**ed about things being automatic.  If anything
>> I've complained about things being too automatic making it harder for
>> newbies to learn the internals so they can fix real problems.
>>
>> As I said before.  When I got into Linux vi was our config tool and we
>> learned more about UNIX then than a noob will learn today in the same
>> amount of time.  If you had to download a base X config and then
>> configure it for your desktop using vi then raise your hand....
>> Everyone else get off my lawn!
>
> My hand is raised.  30 days to get X running on my first Linux install.

My first UNIX computer was a Perkin Elmer (1982?).  I don't think Sun
or Apollo were shipping yet.

IIRC, it didn't come with a graphic monitor at all.  We needed
graphics, so we bought some monitors and graphics cards.  Over $200K
for a few monitors / high-end controllers / and a polaroid based
graphic printer. (iirc).

The printer was cool.  It had a B&W monitor that faced up and a
polaroid camera that faced down.  I think there were colored filters
between the two that controlled what color was being printed.  The
primary colors were "printed" onto the polaroid one at a time, by
physically moving the filter.

Get off my grass.