[ale] Any OPERWRT experts that can clarify installation on Seagate Dockstar?

Byron Jeff ByronJeff at mail.clayton.edu
Sun Apr 17 17:33:22 EDT 2011

I tried to send this from my phone. It did not seem to get posted. My
apologies if this turns out to be a duplicate. Since I'm at my laptop now,
I'll try to fill in some of the blanks.

I need OPERWRT for a pair of tasks. I have scoured their site:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/seagate/dockstar
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=25518

and other resources

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ecc/old-dockstar-howto.html

but I still have questions. The target is a seagate dockstar. I need to get
a standard OpenWRT router, and FreeSwitch SIP with the Google Voice
connectivity so that I can use a SIP phone/ATA to route calls through
Google Voice. My questions:

- it is still unclear to me if OPERWRT runs completely in ram. The dockstar
  uses nand flash and I need to be sure that the kernel and rootfs only
  gets read on boot.

- if I use the precompiled version from svn can I add modules for usb and
  e2fs from the root fs?

- ipks are compiled on the target? I would need to compile FreeSwitch along
  with the modules.

- can a 1.2 ghz ARM with 128mb of RAM handle a 25mbps downstream and route
  SIP and jabber using FreeSwitch too?

Any insight appreciated. Thx.
--
Byron A. Jeff